Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Music Review: Rebecca Hancock - Somewhere To Land



I first discovered Rebecca Hancock (supported by her band, The Prison Wives) way back in 2002, when my twelve-year-old-self with a burgeoning appreciation for independent music became obsessed with her debut album Somewhere To Land. Now, eight years later, Miss Hancock has released her second album, Under My Bed.

Unfortunately I lost my copy of Somewhere To Land way back when, and have spent many years bereft of the soulful, haunting songs – wishing I could find the CD again. And then I realised that with the invention of this wacky thing we call the “internet,” I probably could.

I bought another copy of Somewhere To Land from Rebecca’s website and – even putting aside the fact that she sent me a personal email saying she hoped I enjoyed the CD – am thoroughly glad I did.

Rebecca has a versatile voice that puts many of the recent female-singer-songwriter revival to shame. Her songs are reminiscent of Ani DiFranco, or Tori Amos before she became self-indulgent, and are a pleasing blend of fey, folksy tunes and dirty barstool blues. Stand-out tracks include Moon Wants a Lover, Prison Ground and an astonishing cover of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

You can listen to a few songs off her new album here.

No comments:

Post a Comment